Monday, May 25, 2015

breakfast, hospital, home

I got a text very early this morning that they decided to postpone my dad's cardiac cath until tomorrow because his INR level still wasn't low enough to proceed. So we went out for breakfast with Nana and Papa, and then headed to Grandma and Grandpa's house to say good bye to Grandma and Aunt Amanda.
This was the hardest decision I have ever had to make...going home (Rowan had school, Ed had to work, couldn't stay without the kids?) or staying. I would have liked to be there knowing that I had the most medical knowledge, but knew that for my family I should go home. And really there was nothing I could do if I was there that my sister and Julie couldn't do. But either way, I felt guilty leaving. So, we headed to the hospital to visit my dad before heading home. Rowan hung out and took some selfies in Grandpa's hospital bed.
My dad was very bored. He had to miss the Memorial day parade and was stuck in this hospital room on a monitor. He was busy doing the crossword puzzle when we arrived. We hung out for a couple hours, and were still there when Grandma Julie and the rest came back, so then we headed out.
It was an emotional ride home, feeling guilty and sad. Knowing that my dad was lucky it was a mild heart attack and that everything would be fine tomorrow was difficult to digest. One major downfall of living 5 hours away. Thankfully my sister and brother were both there to support both my dad and Julie!
 
Happy Memorial Day!
 

No comments: